Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Ventilation to a laundry? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

JUANPANAMA

Electrical
May 11, 2003
PA
Sirs,

I need informations about conditions of confort in a laundry,

I have an aplication where there is a laundry closed place.
I want to ventilate this place using a ventilator and a extrator, but I do not know how calculate the CFM. In this laundry, we have three press, a dry clean machine, a gas dryer 50 pound,a washing machine, a puffer and seven personnel working. The place is aprox. 150 square meter.

I can not use refrigerations (Cold Air conditions)by the high electricity cost. I only can use ventilator and extrator.

Can somebody help me, please,

Best Regard,

Juan Aguilar
silaguipanama@yahoo.es
(507)-200-1045
PO BOX: 6-1061
Panama, Republic of Panama

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

According to ASHRAE ,minumum total air changes per hour must be at least 10. I think 20 airchange/hour is good(volume=150*4=600 m³ so, Supply air=600*20=12000 m³)

Laundry must be keep under negative pressure so, exhaust air must greater than supply (ie. 12000*1.15=14000 m³/h exhaust air).Some equipments need to direct exhaust system by ducting (ask to manufacturer)

To save energy, heat recovery might be good idea to use the heat of exhaust air.

cooling is unnecassary for laundry.

hope it helps
Ercan

Cooling is a must in a laundry specially in the summer months.
I will send you an email.
You will probably not find much help on the subject here,(I do not want to discourage you).
I have some sources, you will be surprised.

Regards,
ER

instead of cooling I would try to maintain an air flow across the laundry room around 25 ft/min. so multiply cross sectional area of room and multiply by 25 ft/min to get CFM. Use only a cross sectional area where people are working and placement of supply and exhaust duct is important.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back