Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Venturi style steam trap

Status
Not open for further replies.

ncstate86a

Mechanical
Jul 15, 2005
US
We are considering using a steam trap that utilizes an ISO standard venturi nozzle to remove the condensate from the steam system. It has no moving parts and appears to be very energy efficient. Our testing shows that it works well under varying loads (above 15% of rated max load). The venturi design should not be confused with orifice traps; I have experimented with orifice traps and was disappointed by their performance under varying loads. We have tested the veturi design rigorously on a weighted condensate test rig and have found it to work well under varying loads. Can anyone (other than steam trap manufacturers) provide me with their experiences using venturi (NOT ORIFICE) steam traps?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

so basically what you want is a scrubber to get fine particulate out of the air correct. this works extremely well venturipak by envirocare is an example of this. the faster the air goes the more particulate matter that is extracted you want a mach number of 4+ at the venturi throat.

Unless I have completely misinterpreted what you are trying to do

The veturi type steam trap is a steam trap. It is designed to removed condensate that forms in steam lines and heating equipment as the steam gives off its latent heat. Our testing shows the purpose of using a venturi style trap over a conventional mechanical steam trap is three fold:

1) No moving parts to fail
2) As the condensate forms and travels through the throat of the venturi nozzle, the pressure head of the condensate is transferred to velocity, causing the pressure of the saturated condensate to drop, which in turn causes the fluid to flash back into steam. During the flashing process, the fluid volume expands several hundred times, eliminating the available flow path for escaping steam. The result is a highly efficient condensate removal device under varying condensate loads.
3) The nozzle is very efficient at moving condensate and very inefficient at moving steam due to sonic choking. The result is minimal steam loss even at loads under 15%. The result is the inability to "fail open" as other condensate removal devices do. I hope this clarifies.
Any practical info from users would be helpful.

I have not seen a steam trap based on a venturi before, only those using a series of stepped orifices. But I can't see that there would be much difference in performance.

Do you have a reference to a web site where we can learn more about them? From the lack of relevant comments here it seems that not many know about these things.

You said specifically that you were not interested in experiences with orifice steam traps, but on the off-chance that you mean you are not interested in single orifice traps here is a reference to some comments I posted on my experience with stepped orifices some time back
thread391-117776

The reason I was not interested in orifices (sharp edge) is that orifices tend not to choke as compared to a venturi nozzle. Secondly, orifices tend to creates eddy currents on the downstream side of the orifice plate as the condesate exits the orifice and flashes back to steam. The result is a build up of chemicals/precipitate that results in plugging. A venturi nozzle doe not suffer this problem. Orifices also do not work well on varying loads. Our limitted testing and Navy testing validate these statements.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back