Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Vertical flow retarder

Status
Not open for further replies.

corrosionman

Mechanical
Jun 11, 2003
GB
Hello All. We have a vertical discharge waste water pipe 24 inch dia and 200 feet drop (Ten lengths of 20 feet each.) To slow down the flow each length is packed with bundles of 4 inch dia plastic pipes,each bundle is built from 14 pipes 3 feet long. Each bundle is out of line with the next one so the flow down one 4 inch pipe then splits on entering the next pipe etc etc The 24 inch dia by 20 feet lengths have a spacer flange between them which is only 18 inches inside dia (like an orifice plate).
My question is :- I think I partly understand the idea behind this arrangement but does it have a name - - what is it called and where can I read up on the theory of it.
Thanks in advance.
Corrosionman

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi. In most flow measurement engineering handbooks these are refered to as flow conditioners. The one you've described is a tube bundle flow conditioner. There usually used to prevent swirl and restore flow profiles. In your case it seems you've implemented them as a crude multi-stage orifice plate assembly. Good idea all in all.

Gents, thanks for comments - you answered my query - -a flow Conditioner- - -I had tried flow retarder,flow brake, reducer,diminisher,controller, plus lots more but yes, a flow conditioner it is !! The pipe contains a heavy mineral slurry which is held back to a modest speed and which must not do a vortex spin. My search on Flow conditioner has "filled in the corners"Thank you.
Corrosionman

Too bad you "cannot" take that much "waste" water flow and pipe it into t a modern Pelton water wheel and turbo-generator: Even the off-grid enviro's can get a good useable power from a ten-twenty foot drop into a micro-turbine using creek water.

An (existing) 200 foot drop with an (existing) 24 inch diameter penstock even operating part-time is a lot of money. (Er, free energy).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back