Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

vertical seismic loads on released frames

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rantamental

Structural
Feb 17, 2016
IR
Hi guys
As you know we have to dedicate vertical effect of seismic loads on elements equal to 0.2DL in LRFD method in both directions.
My question is if we want to design and analyze an element with pinned connections like a composite beam in a composite steel deck, should we consider this load effect or no? and what about designing the pined connection ? and what about the slab of composite deck ?
Thanks for your Help [thanks]

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Yes, the load combinations that include the vertical seismic load effect need to be considered for all members. For members that aren't part of the lateral system, they typically won't control over the maximum dead plus live load combinations. If you are designing a steel beam collector with pinned end connections, you need to consider the combined shear and axial loads on the connections resulting from the seismic load combinations.

Thanks for your answers
Yes sure, we have to combine dead and 0.2*sds*dead
In service life of a pinned member we consider dead+live to calculate deflection of beam, but in design of that beam i think we have to include effect of vertical seismic loads and design it with this combination
Dead+0.2sds*dead+live, i think in real world and when an earthquake occures, it will absorb this loads
Am i true?

I don't believe the vertical seismic load is to be applied in the lower Seismic Design Categories if you are using ASCE 7.

When it is required, it should be applied regardless of the end fixity of the member

The seismic needs to be real high and the dead load needs to be pretty high compared to the live load for (1.2 +0.2SDS)D + L to be greater than 1.2D + 1.6L.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back