Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Very Important 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bader

Mechanical
May 3, 2002
SA
Hi ,
I have aproblem with the Relief Valve , the porblem that her in our company we have a sand filter , and we have a Relief valves located in a sand filter because it's in a water production Division , we find that the Relief valve contain a mudd inside it .. i mean internel, so i want a device to prevent this mudd , we try to relocate the Relief valve in somewhere eles in the pipe , but we can't go through it , we want the same place and no mudd ?? if u have any ways please help me , i am in abig problem as a Relief valve Co-ordinator ..
Best Regards,
Bader I am always ready for help as much as i can .. so just let me know your Problem .

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Bader:

Many questions.

Do you mean to say that the valve is immersed, as in externally wetted, in the water/sand of the sand filter?

If the mud or whatever solids are indeed internal to the relief valve, have you tried any rupture discs either upstream of the relief valve or in place of the valve?
and is the relief valve accessible for maintenance?

Do you have any instrumentation currently ionstalled which would signal or indicate that the relief valve has opened?

Tim

I'm not exactly sure if your problem is with the mud accumulating in the nozzle of the valve before it has relieved or if it is with the mud after the valve has relieved.

If the problem is with mud accumulating in the nozzle before a relief event then a rupture disc may be the answer. Another solution may be a flush seated. This can resolve the problem of mud accumulating with the valve closed but will not resolve a problem once the valve opens. Flush seated valve are used in the polymer industry where the solidified polymor will clog nozzle type valves. A company called FEMA located in Italy makes flush seated valves. It is understood that once the pressure relief valve opens it must be removed from the system and cleaned.

Deposits of solids are a problem in a few industries such as in the production of polymer and in the production of bauxite. Clogged pressure relief valves have been a problem at several aluminium production facilities. Solutions to these problems are not always easy.

tblaser/xcrosby
Thanks for your corporation , i think rupture disc. may help, the problem is that when the water pass through the pipe it make a bubbles these bubbles may contain some mudd , it go up and close the Relief valve this happend when the relief valve not relieved , so we are afraid that it may cause big problem when we have overflow or upstream , it may cause a damage for the relief ,but may i know how flush seated work ?..

Thanks and Best Regards
Bader I am always ready for help as much as i can .. so just let me know your Problem .

You may need to persue a rupture disc. My experience with wet sand pumping applications found the viscosity too high for any relief valve to give adequate protection.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back