Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Very low cost PLC with RS232 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

reebelec

Industrial
Sep 28, 2001
CA
Is there a low cost controller that has an rs232 port with just a few i/o.
I have an application with a sick barcode reader. it has an
available rs232 port to send data to a pc. I would like to hook it to a cheap plc, send the data to the plc, decode the label data (up to four different labels) then turn on an output for the corresponding barcode. I don't want to
use a slc500 or s7 or have to spend a bunch of money on new software as well.
any input would be helpful

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

check:

Serial Interface Module
The KV-L2 has two ports - an RS-232C port and a switchable RS-232C/RS-422A port - for communications between PLCs or between a PLC and computer. You can easily control and read data from any external instrument with a compatible serial port.

A single computer running Keyence's Ladder Builder Software can communicate with multiple CPUs to edit programs and monitor operation or monitor a CPU while communicating with another computer.

And thanks to the built-in Display Interface Mode, you can easily connect a commercially available display unit to the CPU.

David Baird
mrbaird@hotmail.com

Sr Controls Engineer

EET degree.

Journeyman Electrician.

Ditto on the Koyo or Direct Logic DL05 or DL105. 05 is $99 with 8 in and 6 out and 105 is $159 with 10 in and 8 out. Both of these have rs232 ports.

reading through the manual for the DL05, it looks like i would set up com2 in slave mode, but how would i address a read command? any info is appreciated.

nbucska, i was thinking of that as well. i was contemplating using a basic stamp like the bs2. the dl205 with the 260 processor would be nice, but the price is starting to exceed my cheap budget. I was looking for something approximately $200.00 US when everything is said and done.

Reebelec:

Check out < DOS-Stamp: A 2&quot;x2.6&quot;
PC compatible ( no keybrd or display but easy to interface
to simpler ones) You can use any (GW-,Quick-,Power-,Turbo-)
BASIC, C or C++, PASCAL,FORTRAN whatever you can write and compile under DOS on your PC.

It is a serious computer for $139 ea, $99 in 100-s.

<nbucska@pcperipherals.com>

If this is a limited installation, I would highly reccomend that you check with sick to see if they already have the interface you need. I know Keyence does. Most have a soloution that you can train to scan for specific barcodes and give a discrete or dry contact output.

This would probably save you time, if not hardware dollars.

The programming for this project is not overly complicated, but it does go beyond the basic ladder logic kind of application.

If you're still looking at PLC's check the Aromat/Nais FP1 or FP0. They're relatively cheap, but suffer from the same kinds of problems that all Japanese PLC's have, meaning confusing software.

Good luck!

CAdkins, that was the first thing that I did. The Sick barcode readers have two discreet outputs. they can be configured for just about anything, but they only allow for
a positve match to two distinct barcodes, two shy of what we need. I have talked to Sick and there is no option for using anything else but a the communications port. I ended up using a basic stamp. worked out to be the cheapest route to go.
thanks for all the input.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back