Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

vessel & column // pond & tank??

Status
Not open for further replies.

mecengr

Mechanical
Jul 7, 2002
I wud like ur opinion about the difference b/n a Vessel & a Column. My thoughts r that vessel has a pressurised fluid which is undergoing a chemical reaction. Whereas column is just used to carry the fluid & pass it away.

Also, wud any1 like to differentialte b/n a pond & a tank??

Thanku for taking out time.

Khurram

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I think the difference is independent of process fluid or vessel application. To me, a column is a specific vessel (a vertical vessel)... as in a distillation column. On the other hand, a spherical or horizontal storage tank would be considered a vessel (definitely not a column).

Regarding the pond / tank issue, A pond is a naturally occurring depression in the earth that is filled with water. I tank is a man made pond... at least that's what they say in Texas.

jproj

Hi

In general both are designed by the same code. Well may be to differentiate vessels can be horizontal and vertical type. But column are only vertical type. In India general thumbrule is if H/D is more than 5 it is called as column. Columns are used for mainly mass transfer purpose as it will contain trays / packing (both random & structured type).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back