Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Vessel Design for -95¦C Temperature 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

magicking

Mechanical
May 5, 2004
CA
If I would like to avoid impact test of the vessel with MDMT = -95°C by using SA-516 Gr 70 material. What is the minimum wall thickness of the vessel to order to meet ASME code? The design pressure is only 50 kPa. Thanks for your help.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You might want to look at the cost difference between impact testing and switching to a stainless material that you can get an exemption on. Even though you are at a very low pressure that cold material can be dangerous and probably warrants testing or an alloy change.

Regards
StoneCold

SA-516-70 is incapable of meeting Code mandated impact testing at -95 C. You should use 3 1/2% Ni alloy steel.

Thickness is based on pressure and diameter (and temperature); you've only provided pressure.

Thanks stanweld,

The diameter is 20"ID. I've read ASME B&PV Code Section 8 Div 2, it indicates that I can reduce the MDMT to -104°C, as long as the stress ratio is below 0.24 (3.11.2.5). There are 3 equations to calculate stress ratio, which one I should use?

At the risk of being blunt, I think you need to pay a welding engineer who knows his way around the Code for a couple of hours of consulting. This forum can be very helpful, but it is not the ideal way to design a PV.

magicking,
You must qualify your welding procedures with impact testing at -95 C in weld metal and the HAZ of the SA-516-70 material. While you can select a weld filler metal that will meet the impact test requirements at -95 C, the HAZ is incapable of meeting the Code mandated absorbed energy requirements.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back