Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Vessel design SG of 1.5,

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrtangent

Chemical
Aug 4, 2003
US
All, we have a storage tank containing fluid of an SG of 0.7. We are installing a larger tank onto site. I'm told it works if we reduce the design margin on the codes from 1.5 to 1.2.

I'd like some candit coments from engineers on your perspetive of this change. We dont process any fluids on site with an SG of more than 1. All are 0.7.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Obviously the only limit on the design margin is money. So what design margin are you talking about exactly? You want to reduce the design pressure? Hydro pressure? What exactly are we talking about? How big is the tank? What is it made of? What is in it? Is it an ASME tank or an API tank?

Thanks
StoneCold

Scared the craX out of me he sure did.

We are more connected to everyone in the world than we've ever been before, except to the person sitting next to us. Lisa Gansky

meaning using an SG factor of 1.1 rather than 1.5.. the vessel and civil codes usually use 1.5 for fluid sg.. but in reality the tank is storing 0.7.. so even 1.1 to 0.7 should have a big margin..

And when they hydrotest again... oh right, they'll never do that would they.

The tank is designed for 1.5 because its a 50% safety factor over the hydrotest load!!!

We are more connected to everyone in the world than we've ever been before, except to the person sitting next to us. Lisa Gansky

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back