Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VFD cable ground conductors termination 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

thinker

Electrical
Aug 2, 2001
US
Dear colleagues, please advise on the following: typical VFD cable has three symmetrical ground conductors. Can I combine these three ground conductors together and crimp all of them in a single larger compression lug? The site location is in the USA. Will this arrangement be acceptable. or this is a violation?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You won't find a compression lug that is approved for use with three separate conductors.
That would be an unapproved use of the lug.

Bill
--------------------
"Why not the best?"
Jimmy Carter

I stand corrected. Thanks controlsdude.

Bill
--------------------
"Why not the best?"
Jimmy Carter

Started using them the last 3 years when i started seeing electrical installers using them so I think they been out the last 5 years maybe?

With VFD cable, for common mode noise reduction it’s important to terminate ground wires at the VFD end directly to the VFD terminals provided for the ground wires, not to a ground bus first then to the VFD. Often times on drives large enough to use the three symmetrical ground wires, there is a termination scheme to accommodate that. If not, then prior to those Wagos being released, I used ring tongue crimp terminals and bolted them together. Since it is ground there is no need to overly insulate that so long as it is kept clear of other conductors.

Now if you were to use those Wagos (as the industry refers to them now) make sure you use a 4 hole version and take the 4th wire to the VFD ground, not to the ground bus in your panel. The VFD will have a second ground terminal for using to connect the VFD to the ground bus. It seems insignificant, but it’s important to follow these instructions. Probably at least once per year I get called in to troubleshoot a VFD installation with erratic behavior and find this mistake in the grounding. When it is fixed, the issues go away.

" We are all here on earth to help others; what on earth the others are here for I don't know." -- W. H. Auden

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back