Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Vibrating machine foundation on micropiles

Status
Not open for further replies.

Busgosu25

Structural
Jan 17, 2024
ES
Hello,

I´m designing a new foundation for a reciprocating compressor. Due the static settlements, it is needed to use a deep foundation. I´m planning to use micropiles with steel tubular reinforcement inside for the design due to the constraint space where the compressor is going to be installed.

I´m analyzing it from a dynamic point of view. I would like to know if the dynamic behaviour of the micropiles can be consider the same as for conventional concrete piles but with a small diameter.

Do you have any experience using micropiles for this type of vibrating foundation?

Thanks,

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The geotekkie should determine if this is suitable for vibrating loads.

-----*****-----
So strange to see the singularity approaching while the entire planet is rapidly turning into a hellscape. -John Coates

-Dik

I have no specific experience with micropiles. But I suspect that what interests you in the context is the axial stiffness EA. That should be used as it would be for a concrete pile.

My experience with this on one particular project was not good at all. Micropiles are not stiff enough to resist lateral movement due to vibration. I strongly recommend you use H-piles.

DaveAtkins

I have used micropiles to resist lateral and dynamic loads before.....but you have to use a batter pile arrangement.

So yes, you can use micropiles for this purpose.....but you need to check with the specific contractor (and the geotech) for this purpose. Not all micropiles are made the same.

I have to admit though: they aren't my first choice for such a application. H-piles and caissons are.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back