Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

vibration analysis on semi-hermetic compressor

Status
Not open for further replies.

joeywpittman

Mechanical
May 31, 2004
US
i'm working on a trane compressor m# CRHR600C-7RA0
s# J08031266AR which was installed about 6-months ago. it is making a unusual noise (sound like metal on metal) the compressor has a one-year warranty from the rebuild company. i want to try to get it replaced while it is still under warranty. my problem is that the compressor is still working properly. i fell like it is going to go out eventually. Has any one ever heard on getting a vibration analysis done on a semi-hermetic compressor. i fell that if i had a vibration report, i would have grounds to get the compressor replaced under warranty.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Probably what you are hearing is slugging. It is the result of the compressor attempting to compress refrigerant that is in the incompressible liquid phase.

This is a system problem, not a compressor problem. But it will destroy your compressor.

Find and fix the problem in the system.

If you are getting liquid to the compressor suction it is indeed bad. You need to increase superheat in the evaporator.
Mark Hutton

There are times when the thermal bulb is incorrectly placed or loose, check it out or as was said the SH is too low and slugging the compressor, Ck SH asap!

when someone says (metal on metal) he is not talking about the slight sound increase which happen when a compressor drinks liquid. My question is: Has any one ever heard on getting a vibration analysis done on a semi-hermetic compressor? the superheat is @ 12deg.

If the super heat is 12*f at the compressor and it's for a/c it could still have some liquid. I would be more comfortable with about 20*F SH but beside that if it's a big concern then just pump it down and open it up ...take a look see remove the oil pull, the heads, and the side plate and look around..no big deal

Repost your question at Mechanical Acoustics/Vibration engineering section of this forum as this question is better answered by a RCM/Vibration engineer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back