Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Vibration isolation mounts

Status
Not open for further replies.

dougkeuneke

Aerospace
Jan 19, 2006
US
Looking to design a vibration isolation mount for an electrical box on a piece of space hardware. Thinking of a 4 point connection using 3/8 shoulder bolts (NAS1160?) and rubber bushings (buna-n?). Box weight is approx 50 lbs with connection in primary shear. If I'm heading down the right track I need to find the bushings. Any ideas?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

"a piece of space hardware" -for what agency or end user? What duration? Buna-N won't last long in LEO; do you care? Does the end user care if flakes of rubber and/or volatile materials (oil) are floating around inside his spacecraft, obscuring lenses, shorting exposed wires, and whatnot? What static g levels are your design requirements, and what random vibration spectrum are you trying to dampen? You can contact Lord Aerospace, they have a lot of experience designing space-rated (low outgassing, rad-hard) shock and vib isolation mounts.

The space hardware is the aft skirt of the Shuttle Solid Rocket Booster. This is an external application with debris being the only issue. I am not concerned with the loads/enviroments at this time....just looking for different ideas on mounts. Thanks for the contact...I'll check it out.

DOUGKEUNEKE... btrueblood has a very important point... ignore it at your own peril.

You may be too young to remember the Challanger accident. The rubber O-rings on the booster "hardened" in the extreme cold of the January 1986 freeze and the presence of the the LOX tank. Subsequently, the damaged primary and back-up rings at one joint failed to hold pressure when the RH booster ignited... and began leaking hot-gasses immediately: ~77 seconds later the flight was "over".

Elastomer materials "stiffen" when temps fall... and "soften" as temps rise... resulting in highly variable mechanical properties... not-the-least being deformation/load and dampening characteristics... and all the other factors noted by btrueblood.

Have You looked at wire-rope springs/isolators?

Regards, Wil Taylor

I'd like to second wktaylor & btrueblood. I remember January 28, 1986 that was my 20th birthday.

I worked a space program at a large US defense company and I remember they were extremely paranoid about using Elastomer material for any damping, shock or vib. The reason being they had a satellite that had solar array snubbers that had outgassed which prevented them from being deployed.

Here are a couple of links for Barry Controls. I've used some of their mechanical isolators for electronic equipment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back