Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Vibration next to fresh concrete 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

JKJohn

Structural
Oct 27, 2008
US
Three separate foundation systems. All are in the same job site and all are delegate design. There are Underpinning, Auger Cast Piles, and concrete driven piles.
We initially had the driven piles go in first, then underpinning, then auger piles.
We had delays and at this point we are going to have to do all three almost at the same time.
Soil on site is soft.
We asked the auger pile concrete when we could drive the concrete pile next to their piles, they answered after one day.
I am not convinced.
I would like to know your thoughts and does anyone have any reference?
Thanks in advance!!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

My answer if asked the same question would be delay the auger casting until the driven piling is complete.

If forced, at 1-2 days the concrete likely will have sufficiently hardened. but I'd still be leery of performing driven piling directly adjacent to newly cast piles.

Thanks all. To be honest, I am surprised. Then why don't we allow compaction (vibration) next to newly casted walls. Are these two different issues?

Seanan - If you are asking about compaction behind a newly placed retaining wall, IMHO, that is a different issue. A retaining wall is self-supporting and has to resist the soil load plus the compaction loading applied to the backfill. There is nothing to keep an uninformed Contractor from compacting too close to the wall.

A new cast-in-place concrete piling has no load applied and is supported, surrounded, and protected by soil.

[idea]
[r2d2]

SlideRuleEra Thanks a lot. It makes sense.

Seanan....pretty much everything SRE says makes sense!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back