Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Vibrations an electrical problem in a motor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Can I see a terminal slack in a motor looking vibrational spectrums.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The Entek diagnostic wall chart that I have indicates that a loose connection on a motor supply lead will produce 1/3 line frequency sidebands around the 2Xline frequency vibration peak. In my experience I have never nailed one of these.

Petri - I agree with you 100%. I have seen that wall chart and I have never been able to come up with any thoeretical explanation whatsoever for why a loose connection would cause F_Line/3 sidebands or any real-world example of that pattern (never seen anything at these frequencies even on a log scale). Personally I believe that a loose connection will have no detectable vibration effect whatsoever until it becomes very severe (severe enough to change the voltage to the motor), at which point twice line frequency vibration may show up due to the voltage imbalance.

3X line frequency harmonics I could by.

1/3 times line frequency? I have scratched my head until there is barely any hair left and I can't imagine it.

More importantly, after reviewing several hundred motor spectra I have never seen the slightest bump at those frequencies, even on log scale.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back