Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Victaulic Fire Protection Fittings(Maintenance Engineering) 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

klyu

Mechanical
Jan 31, 2024
US
I'm a fairly recent hire for maintenance engineering for facility contracting. I have little to no knowledge on fire protection and water systems.

I was tasked with a research assignment on the fire protection systems and the fittings currently being used. Recently and incident occurred where a fitting failed and caused a serious leak flooding the 1st and 2nd floors of a building. The Fitting that failed was a Victaulic Style 963(Fast installation tee) in my preliminary research I found that these were developed in 1978 and discontinued in 2005. The fitting has failed one additional time in another building in 2013. The current facilities use carbon steel piping with schedule 40 and schedule 80 with about 1' by 1 1/2' by 1 1/2'. I've noticed that we like the use the quick installion fittings.

I have contacted Victaulic's Engineering department, but they don't really give me straight answers.

My general question is does anyone have any familiarization with Victaulic Fire Protection fittings.

What is the general failure rate?
When a fitting is removed is it safe to put the same fitting back on? It has a little rubber sealant.
What are the general thoughts on quick installtion fittings.
What is the frequency of inspections that should be performed if any?
Is there a way to check the seal without removing the fititng?

Just looking for some general advice or a nudge in the right direction
definitely have noticed I am completely unprepared for this job and its responsibilities and the company im working trying to penny pinch its way out of all of the problems

Any help would be great and any suggestions about the questions I should be asking would be great thank you

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Is this a dry system (under air pressure) or a wet system?
In general fittings that use elastomeric seals should have the rubber parts replaced if the fitting is removed.
So these are not the grooved clamp fittings?
One of the other things is how much crap is there inside the pipes, which may be plugging sprinklers.
And you should check your sprinklers (brand and model) to make sure that they haven't been recalled.
It sounds like you may have a lot longer list of issues to deal with.
Bringing in a real fire system professional could help you get up to speed faster.
Our office was all done in VicPres SS.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
P.E. Metallurgy, consulting work welcomed

When I read failed and caused flooding I am picturing a broken pipe.

I know of a failure of a Victaulic grooved end fitting recently. There was significant separation between the two sections of pipe after the failure. Contractors pulled the joint together to install the clamps which left the joint under significant strain. Those same conditions were present elsewhere and a second failure occured after the first section was repaired.

It's not usually the fault of the fitting when a failure occurs.

So the pipe doesn't have either a ridge or a groove?
What holds these in place?
It should be easy enough to use an acoustic (ultrasonic) test unit to find air leaks.
Start the planning for full system replacement.
Justify the cost based on ongoing likelihood of failures.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
P.E. Metallurgy, consulting work welcomed

It's not easy to find data on this, but appears to use a Fast Installation Technique (FIT) whereby the outer screw is turned 1/4 turn which seems to move a locking screw onto the pipe and secure using friction between the pipe and the fitting. Lots to go wrong there....

The seal is also a one way chevron type seal which is subject to damage / tearing etc if the pipe is removed. So not like an O ring at all.

It also needs the pipe to be inserted a certain minimum length which is not always done in practice.

This little snippet is as good as I can find as Victaulic seem to have washed their hands of it on their website....

Screenshot_2024-02-02_113121_apkwek.png

So your questions:
What is the general failure rate? - No idea

When a fitting is removed is it safe to put the same fitting back on? It has a little rubber sealant. - In my opinion no. When you look at the fittings they seem to be a chevron type seal and only designed for one insertion. Removing them risks damage to the seal.

You can just make the seal out in this picture.

Screenshot_2024-02-02_113952_hlv3ek.png

What are the general thoughts on quick installation fittings. - IMHO, they are all higher risk than welding, screwing or the "normal" victaulic joints. The risk is damage to the seal from burrs, sharp edges etc, incomplete insertion, lack of grip from the "locking" device over time, inability to remove and reconnect without damage to the seal, no QA possible other than pressure test and checking complete insertion has taken place. Installers tend to love them as they reduce time and hence costs by a large factor. Issues only become apparent many years after the original contractors have vanished / warranties expired.

What is the frequency of inspections that should be performed if any? - Dunno - 6 monthly?

Is there a way to check the seal without removing the fitting? - NO. Only by pressure testing with air and then bubble testing with soapy water.

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

I appreciate you all taking the time out of your day to answer my questions I do think I have a better understanding of the system and direction to nudge upper Mangement towards thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back