Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Video output for microcontroller

Status
Not open for further replies.

jk2001

Electrical
Jul 14, 2008
CZ
Hi,

I wanted to reply to thread240-155869 , but unfortunately it is closed, so that's why new thread ... I basically want a video (VGA) output from a microcontroller (PIC18 preferably). Someone recommended Parallax Propeller, but I have no experience with it nor I think it has enough power to do this job.

My idea is to use old ISA VGA card to do this job, but how complicated is it to initialize the card and set-up videomode from scratch (i.e. no video BIOS) ?

Another option would be something like but it does only text mode (but has also keyboard interface integrated).

Ideas?

Thanks.

JK

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I think that you should review the Propeller. It has eight parallel 32 bit processors running at more than 100 MHz each. Each processor has its own video generator. Much more power than you can cram out of the PIC18.

Drivers available for PAL and NTSC. You don't have to write a single line of code to get video. I love it.

Gunnar Englund
--------------------------------------
100 % recycled posting: Electrons, ideas, finger-tips have been used over and over again...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back