Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Video RAM not enough?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nobbyv4

Mar 1, 2002
GB
Does any one know what the minimum video RAM SW2001 Plus would need to run? We run SW on a Duron 1200 256 Ram with 16Mb on board graphics. I realise it is struggling with this. Would this be the cause of SW crashing when I attempt to activate the Surfaces toolbar (just moving the bar crashes SW)We are running SW with Win 2000 Pro on two computers. There is no problems on the other one which uses a Athon 2.1 with 512Mb Ram and a 128Mb Graphics card (smooth :).

I'm trying to persuade my boss to upgrade the slower PC but it's only two months old and he's not eager so any response I can wave under his nose would be appreciated.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Half of your problem is that you are using a Duron processor. When you think of Duron, think of Celeron. Durons weren't made with high end graphics and mathematics in mind, they were made to compete with the lower tier Celerons. Case in point, the other computer has an Athlon processor, and you're not having the same problems.

SW should be used with at least a 32mb graphics card (though it does basic stuff with 16mb), but consider 64mb if you are in a professional environment.

When they say "system requirements" they are talking about the minimum requirements to get the program to work. If YOU want to work, you'll have to go beyond the "minimum". "The attempt and not the deed confounds us."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back