Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Viega Megapress 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

CompEngr

Mechanical
Apr 28, 2021
US
Hi,

I got an estimate to run CSST in my house or Viega Megapress. I have to run gas across some of my floor beams in my house. I have not hear about Megapress. He said he could press black iron together and its puncture resistant to CSST.

What do people think about Megapress for natural gas? Is press fittings for black iron pipe superior to running CSST (Corrugated Stainless Steel) for natural gas?

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

What’s CSST? We use Geberit Mapress (probably the same as Viega Press, but a different brand) for such services, within the constraints Geberit provides for said service.

Huub
- You never get what you expect, you only get what you inspect.

Ah, so. No idea as to the original OP’s question since I’m unfamiliar with CSST.

However, any Press system (whether it’s Viegapress, Xpress, Mapress or WhatEvaPress) is both easy to install, cheap, flexible and has a high MAWP. It’s thicker than CSST.

Huub
- You never get what you expect, you only get what you inspect.

If lightning strikes a building with CSST, the lightning could travel through the structure’s natural gas piping and cause a leak. In some cases, a fire or explosion may occur if the CSST isn’t properly grounded. If you have CSST, we recommend contacting a licensed electrician or the installer of the CSST for an inspection. CSST that hasn’t been properly grounded should be bonded to the building’s electrical grounding system according to the manufacturer’s instructions and the National Electrical Code. If you are located on the top of hill, you may be more concerned.

MegaPressG is a cold press mechanical joint fitting system made for use with ASTM A53 carbon steel pipe in natural gas applications.

However, screwed black iron piping has met the test of time.

This work will require a building permit and you should make sure the piping material is approved by the community in which you reside.

Running gas pipes across floor beams doesn't sound like a good idea using any sort of pipe, never mind any sort of flexible pipe.

Your risk of accidentally nailing or screwing through the floor boards is significant and yes, steel pipe will resist puncture better, but far better to route the gas pipe somewhere else. Flexible pipe always runs the risk of drooping over time of the span is too big, but between joists should be OK, but not for long spans. Many building codes now won't allow you to cut notches out of the beams but require you to drill holes of a limited size in the middle of the beam. Then it might make sense to use some sort of flexible pipe in order to install it. But the devil is in the detail.

It looks like you need specific gas tight press joints so make sure you've got those not the "normal" ones.

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

I'd choose black iron and stay away from CSST due to the potential lightning issues. Threaded or pressed joints are both good, so pick whichever is cheaper. Make sure the bid says the manufacturer of the press fittings, because you don't want the cheap Chinese imported ones.

I would definitely not was CSST as the primary material for an entire system.

Also be careful about matching any press-type fittings to pipe - they are not universal. What pipe is being used dictates what fittings are correct.

In the International Code jurisdictions - Megapress is not allowed unless the 2018 version of the code is applied. Some mechanical contractors will state it is allowed in previous versions, but the press type fittings referenced are for tubing, not for pipe. Be careful of the valves used as only one manufacturer that I am aware warrants their valves beyond 2 years.

In many locals CSST is only allowed for short runs to specific devices, not full plumbing of gas.
It has the nasty habit of collecting moisture in the convolutions and if that gas contains any CO2 and Cl- you will pit through it.
I love CSST for water service.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
P.E. Metallurgy, consulting work welcomed

International Code is a U.S. affectation for building codes adopted around the country. I do not know if they are utilized outside the U.S.

Looking at NFPA 54, the 2015 version does not specifically list press type fittings. The 2018 version does. There is language in 2015 - 5.6.8.4 about special fittings that allows for AHJ acceptance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back