Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Vierendeel truss

Status
Not open for further replies.

Avec

Industrial
Mar 31, 2014
RO
Hy guys!
I have a question about how to determine the bending moment and shear force in a Vierendeel truss. I have read all the posts about this subject but didn't found a clear answer.
This is the kind of truss I want to analyze:
Can you post a worked example with values?
I know that the first step is to determine the bending moment and the shear force considering the truss a normal beam (one line). I need to determine the values in specific parts of the truss.

Thank you.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Well, you need to engage a structural engineer and at least RISA 2D, if not 3D, for starters.

Mike McCann, PE, SE (WA)

I read that this is a programme. I don't want a calculus with a programme (I can do it with any programme not just with RISA) and it's not 3D, it's 2D.
I need let's say a calculus on paper. I know that you must start with the determination of the bending moment and shear force taking that truss as a single bar. From there you can determine the efforts in the truss elements (bottom, top and vertical elements).
I need a worked example, if you know something posted on the web or if someone can post on this website I would appreciate it very much.
Thanks.

a Vierendeel truss can be analyzed as a deep beam with big holes in it! You essentially neglect the web (yeah, I know...that breaks from traditional structural consideration, but the numbers work and I've had good experience with these under high wind loads....yes, some have actually been exposed at or near the design loads)

Keep in mind for these trusses, both top and bottom chords need to be braced.

I've done lots of them in aluminum (architectural requirements!). Analyzing as deep beam compares reasonably with RISA analysis (not perfectly, but reasonably close).

If you are a student and have Chegg, try searching for the solution manual to Fundamentals of Structural Analysis 4th, chapter 15 prob 16. Detailed example there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back