Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

View Only Lightweight

Status
Not open for further replies.

hisrik

Mechanical
Dec 2, 2004
US
When I open a file View only, the system options automatically change to turn on open assemblies lightweight in the performance tab. I have to manually turn it off. it is very annoying. Anyone shares this with me?

Mechanical Engineer

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I am having that problem and it is very frustrating. System Options tab > Assemblies section > "Large Assemblies" is unchecked. System Options tab > Performance > "Automatically load components lightweight" is unchecked.

This is happening in assemblies and also on drawings. Not sure if this is why 2009 is supposed to be faster because it turns everything into lightweight automatically but I know I don't like it.

Flores

As the name suggests, the whole purpose of the View only mode is to quickly open a model for, well ... viewing only. Opening the components in lightweight mode accomplishes that. If you need to edit a component, then RMB click on the part and select the Edit option.

If you want to be able to edit all the components of an assy, then open it in regular (non-lightweight) mode.

You can't have it both ways.

[cheers]

I think what he means is that opening something view only actually sets your system options so that the next time you open something it's lightweight. That shouldn't happen.

I'm on 2008sp3.1, and I see this behavior as well. It is pretty annoying, because there seems to be some bug such that no matter what my performance/large assembly mode settings are the "lightweight" box is grayed out in the Open dialog whenever I select an assembly file or a drawing of an assembly. Sometimes it's checked and grayed out, sometimes unchecked and grayed out.

-handleman, CSWP (The new, easy test)

When I open a file View only,

You can't have it both ways.

I missed the "view only" in hisrik's post. I am not choosing View only: There used to be an option in 2008 where you could pick a checkbox for opening a project lightweight. In 09 there is a "Quick View" option and the lightweight option has disappeared.

SW is opening assemblies lightweight automatically and I do not have the option of turning that off. I can right-click an assembly and choose "Set lightweight to Resolved" (but I don't want to or shouldn't have to do that every time)

Flores

Yes, View only should be lightweight. I can understand it if it opens that particular file in lightweight. but it has no business changing my system options for all the future files I open.

Mechanical Engineer

Try opening an assembly file using the pull down menu i.e. File/open (uncheck the lightweight box) instead of the folder icon to open. I had this problem in SW2008 and cured it by saving the assembly and closing down SW to get it to stick.

Eddy

Has anyone solved this problem? Our drawings are opening lightweight, even on new assemblies, and some of the parts are missing. Actually, the parts are there, but invisible.
All the settings are correct and the assemblies are all resolved, but the drawings continue to open lightweight.

Sylvia

For SW2009 there was an enhancement added and all assembly drawings will open lightweight, regardless of system settings. See page 100 (at the bottom) of the SW2009 What's New PDF.

You must first open your assembly models, then open the drawing to have your drawing not open up lightweight.

Cheers,

Anna Wood
SW2008 SP5.0, Windows Vista SP1
IBM ThinkPad T61p, T7800, FX570M, 4 gigs of RAM

felix7502,

I use the term enhancement with a lot of sarcasm.

This is a terrible decision by SW. Everyone needs to get after their VAR and also on the SW forums and customer portal and complain loudly about this new functionality (regression).

Cheers,

Anna Wood
SW2008 SP5.0, Windows Vista SP1
IBM ThinkPad T61p, T7800, FX570M, 4 gigs of RAM

This is their latest attempt to manage their often terrible performance issues. Force the users to work in minimum program state. That's fine if the models would be remain completely representative of any and all previous changes made to them and then automatically resolve when something was done to them in the current session. Then we would never really have to know and they wouldn't have to have a "lightweight" status at all.

I agree witht he PITA factor on this one, we had programs written for us that used the drawing BOM data from all the drawings in a project, the light weight opening cost us $$$ for reprogramming and it takes a lot longer now to generate the reports.

SW 2009 SP2.0
Dell Inc. Precision WorkStation 670
4096 Meg, Quadro FX 1400
DUAL DELL 2007FP DISPLAY
Windows XP PRO SP3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back