Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Viewing Flat Patterns - Sheet Metal??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Niallc

Mechanical
Jul 15, 2002
BE
Hello all,

Our sheet metal company can produce pieces with embosses on either side of the sheet. It is necessary for us to show these in drawings to our shop floor. When i create a named view and select a flat pattern i get a view of one side of the sheet. However I would also like a view of the other side too (so flip the development over). I can't figure out hoe to do this. For CNC autotooling reasons it is not enough for us to have one view and show hidden detail either. Any ideas.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Sure, just use the "Current View" option when creating the drawing. Simply view the model's flat panel layout (whichever side you want), switch to the drawing, select insert named view and pick Current View from the list. DimensionalSolutions@Core.com
While I welcome e-mail messages, please post all thread activity in these forums for the benefit of all members.

Thanks for the reply but does doing it that way not a problem too in that if you move or rotate the model will the Drawing not change too. If so then that will be a big problem. Is there no way we can click on front or back view... etc

Once the "current view" is inserted into the drawing, it will not update when the model is changed. The view is captured one time only. Yes, you can use the front/back views as well, as long as you are in the flat panel state. DimensionalSolutions@Core.com
While I welcome e-mail messages, please post all thread activity in these forums for the benefit of all members.

Even if you're not in the flat plane, you can click the surface you want to look at, hit Normal To in your View Orientation window, and SW will save that view. Then in your drawings you can insert a Named View vs a Current View. "The attempt and not the deed confounds us."

I have done similar, and probably made it harder than need be. When I do a flat pattern of a cylinder and then flatten it to get the "Flat Pattern", SW creats the flat with a "certain" side showing, based on the flat "edge". I created a plane that remains perpendicular to that flat edge, and use the flat plane to create the opposite side view.

Help you any?

Mr. Pickles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back