Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Viewing thumbnails in Windows Explorer? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

tdp240

Mechanical
Nov 1, 2005
US
In the past I've been able to select "Thumbnail" view in Windows Explorer and see thumbnails of all of my NX .prt files. However, I recently had to install Pro/Engineer Wildfire 5.0 on my computer to maintain old archived files. Since Pro/E also uses the .prt file extension, it overwrote the default program for all my NX files to Pro/E, so I manually changed the default program for .prt files back to NX (via the "Tools --> Folder Options --> File Types" method).

I thought this would bring back my NX thumbnails, but it didn't. In the "List", "Detail", & "Icon" views in Windows Explorer, the NX icon shows, but in the "Thumbnail" view, it shows the same thing as a Pro/E file.

I realize this isn't a direct question about NX, and thus maybe doesn't belong in this forum, but I wasn't sure where to ask this. Any ideas?

WinXP-SP3 / NX5.0.4.1 MP6 / Catia V5r18 / NX I-deas 5.3.0.14

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Try This.

In Windows Explorer go to Tools>Folder Options, File Types Tab and then scroll down to .PRT and re-associate it with the correct icon and application by clicking of the Change or Advanced buttons and making the appropriate edits.

The icon is going to be something like

C:\Program Files\<install directory>\UGII\NX.ICO

and the open is going to be something like

"C:\Program Files\<install directory>\UGII\ugs_router.exe" -ug -use_file_dir "%1"

just remember to substitute your actual istallation directory for the text <install directory> in the above paths.

Best Regards

Hudson

www.jamb.com.au

Nil Desperandum illegitimi non carborundum

Thanks, Hudson, but I've already done this. I've also deleted all of my "thumbs.db" files, and they still don't show the preview.

You might try to either re-install or repair the install of NX or delete the .PRT file type definition entirely and then recreate it from scratch by doing an Open With>NX Component from within explorer.

Best Regards

Hudson

www.jamb.com.au

Try to reassociate PRT file extension to something like "NX Component", which should be listed under "Recommended Programs" once you click the "Change..." button in Tools->Folder Options->File Types

In my system I have installed Wildfire 3.0 recently. Even though the Part file icons in "Details, Icons, List & Tiles" show up as ProE file, I don't find anything that looks like "ProE icon" in "Thumbnails view". Can you send the snap shot of thumbnails view that you are seeing.

I switched the file type between "NX Component" and "Pro/Engineer" and there is no change in Thunmbnails view (Preview is same for both cases).

I've attached a snap shot. On the left is what shows in the "Icons" view, but when I switch to "Thumbnails" the picture on the right shows up. Before I installed Wildfire 5.0, the thumbnail image would actually show a thumbnail of my model, which made browsing for sample files easy to do based on seeing a preview of the model without opening it up.

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=ec5717dd-7fde-4be5-827b-37da8df9e4f0&file=icon_thumbnail.jpg
The Preview image that Tedepe is looking for is different than the icon image which is from file associativity.

You might try to re-install NX and get the install program to fix itself with the settings for displaying the thumbnail image which is in the part files and pulled into the thumbs.db file in that folder.

"Wildfires are dangerous, hard to control, and economically catastrophic."

Ben Loosli

Yep, re-installing NX is going to be my last option, but I was hoping to avoid that if I could. ;)

I suspect uninstalling Pro-E would also help and if so that something Pro-E is doing is monopolising the icons.

Best Regards

Hudson

www.jamb.com.au

To add some closure to this, I resorted to reinstalling NX5 and that did the trick. Windows Explorer now shows the NX thumbnail for NX part files.

Thanks to all for the advice and suggestions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back