Violation of EN50160 Std. 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

hhhansen

Electrical
Jan 14, 2004
DK
Hello

I am working in a utility company. One of our clients ives in one out of 20 townhouses. All houses have 6 kW PV´s 3-ph. installed. The problem is that the client is experiencing problems charging the electrical vehicle. From measurements we have concluded that the problem is caused by the amountof PV´s, not the single unit itself. The single PV respects the std. EN61000-3-2 with regards to harmonics currents - (in terms of absolute values).

At the moment we are examinining voltage quality at the point of common coupling for all houses at which point we are responsible as a utility company. After a week a report can be made and we can observe whether EN50160 is fulfilled or not. Now my question is as follows:

In case EN50160 are not passed who is the responsible party under the assumption that the sum of installed PV´s are the key to the problem. I have thouroughly read EN50160 but I am not able to find any answer in this.

B.R. Hans-Henrik.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

In my opinion, the utility Company is responsible for failing to properly consider the combined effect of all the PV's. It's just the same as if you had allowed lots of small 6kW loads to be connected which then caused excessive voltage drop.

Regards
Marmite

I have no idea regard responsibility. But what are basing your conclusion on? Just because harmonic levels exceed some defined standard does not prove that "power quality' is the issue. Also be interested to know what type of problem he is having charging the EV?

This standard EN50160 applies among other to power quality more precisely voltage disturbances in public distribution systems. (Power quality is a common way of qouoting disturbances caused by either disturbances in voltage, current or both). In th meantime I have recieved the final report with conclusion that EN50160 is met regarding all relevant parameters. Charging problems in the EV seem - in my opinion - to arise because of insufficient immunity to current harmonics in the power electronics installed in the EV.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back