Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Virtual topology causes mesh to be deleted

Status
Not open for further replies.

DJStatics

Marine/Ocean
Sep 22, 2021
BE
Hi there

I have used virtual topology on the geometry of my part to improve the top-down mesh that I generate. The problem I now have is that every time I delete any part of the geometry (a face for example), the entire mesh of my part is deleted as well. The geometry of my part was imported as an ACIS (.sat) file, created in Rhino 3D, and I know imported geometry can have some issues. However, the following warning is displayed in the message area after deleting geometry:

"Warning: The entire part mesh will be deleted since part contains virtual topology."

My question is whether this is indeed a hard rule of Abaqus or whether there is way of removing/deleting some geometry, with the part containing virtual topology, without having the entire mesh deleted. If someone has experienced the same problem, with or without solution , I would appreciate a reply.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The mesh is deleted but you should be able to recreate it easily since seed definitions should be retained and then it’s just a matter of pressing the Create Mesh button.

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, remeshing is quite a straight forward task. In my case, it is a bit tedious though. My model is very big and I always run into trouble with some areas of the geometry not being able to mesh.

At the moment I am considering merely editing the geometry in Abaqus so that I do not have to rely on virtual topology for improved meshing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back