Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Viscosity-temperature-graphs, looking for form 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

phex

Chemical
Mar 4, 2003
DE
I need to make some diagrams by the specifications provided by the customer (lube oil dewaxing, mixture viscosity for oil/solvent-mixtures). to do this, i need a linear abscissa and a double-logarithmic ordinate. i'm willing to use forms without fixed scale, or i'll need a viscosity scale 1..70000 cSt. thanks alot for your help all.

chris

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

BP sells these graphs for blending kinematic viscosities on a weight basis. If I remember correctly from my lube-and-wax days the graph is named BP.6 .
BP Trading Limited also had a viscosity/temperature chart including a blending scale for two components, and a blending index scale for more than two components.
The kin. visc. scale is based on log.log(v+0.8) where v is in centistokes. Printed in England by Alfred Cooper & Sons Ltd.
It stands to reason that also ASTM has this kind of graphs. Worth to verify.

very nice 25362, thanks alot. this is helpful for BUYING one, but as i only need one sheet, have time only till tomorrow to do the graphing and don't have any contacts to BP and/or ASTM, i'd like to inquire - though not legally correct - about a scanned version as pdf. can anybody provide it?

can you provide an email adress? i don't really want to post my fax number here in the fora.

thx for your help,
chris

The BP chart found is from 1 to 200 cS. If you are still interested I'll give you a friend's e-mail who would be sending it to you. Please confirm.

Hydrocarbon blending is a common problem e.g. residual oil plus cutter stock to produce heavy ful oils, crude oil plus solvent for pipeline viscosity and density control.
Two things help here: first is the temperature viscosity relationship and i have found that the ASTM D341 equation is as good as they get. Visit and follow the fuel oil link to find an Excel spreadsheet with this all worked out, or post your e-mail and i'll send you my latest version of this.
Second is a blend calculator. Some of these can be dwonloaded or are available free from the marine fuel oil companies. I have versions from DNV PS, Shell Marine Fuels, Exxon Mobil Marine Fuels and you can download one from Now i am not saying they will be universally applicable but they do work well on the hydrocarons i have dealt with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back