Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Viscostiy of Shortening

Status
Not open for further replies.

rocksolid

Industrial
Nov 1, 2001
Can anyone tell me or help me find the viscosity of shortening, lard, or butter that would be in state that I could pump it thru an extruder?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

This is not too much immediate help I'm afraid.

Doesn't the extruder manufacturer would know what viscosities he can squeeze?

Re your materials. Obiously there's a temperature factor but I believe these fluids are actually thixotropic, which means that the more you work 'em the thinner they become.

My copy of "Perry" sends me to "Eirich, "Rheology" vol 4 (1967) for "Thixotropy and Dilitancy"".
Perhaps you could try your engineering library.

[smile]
David

Rock, I do believe that shortening or lard or butter is what is called a non-newtonian fluid which can have some rather strange propeties when it comes to viscosity. As for the Non-newtonian properties, see the list:

1. dilatant: viscosity increases at increased shear
2. pseudo-plastic: viscosity decreases at increased shear
3. rheopectic: viscosity increases at time rate of shear
4. thixotropic: viscosity decreases at time rate of shear

Now that I have thourghly confused the issue for you, the tables I've got don't list the medium you're asking about. My suggestion is to contact either Robbins & Meyers Moyno Pump division, they manufacture progressing cavity pumps with low shear properties, and have extensive experience in pumping non-newtonian fluids. Or you might try, Trans-America Delaval, Imo Pump Division they also have experience in progressing cavity pumps and non-newtonian fluids.

Good Luck!
saxon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back