Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Visible parameters when editing

Status
Not open for further replies.

redwingfan01

Automotive
Jan 6, 2009
US
ok so back for another question.

In nx3 when you edited a body the parameters were displayed so that you could click on them individually to edit. I see that I can do that with features in nx6, but I can't get them to display when editing the main body.

how do I turn them on or is that not an option?

Thank you

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

the main body. if i create a block for example then wish to edit its parameters i have to do it with the dialogue box and can't just click the parameter i wish to change because it isn't visible

I do not recall any primitives ever showing parameters onscreen where you could edit them other than the Edit Parameters dialog box coming up.

However, some modeling features like Extrude and Revolve as well as detail features like Chamfers and Edge Blend will have them onscreen and allow you to edit the feature using them.

I don't believe any setting will force a change in this behavior.

Tim Flater
Senior Designer
Enkei America, Inc.

Some people are like slinkies....they don't really have a purpose, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

redwingfan,

Those are the displayed parameters (dimensions if you will) of the Block. They are not used directly for editing and cannot be selected for editing as your initial post indicates. They only come up during Edit Feature and as John said, they were removed once the primitives were 'upgraded' to be fully parametric.

During an edit, features usually will have quite visible handles and/or input boxes pointing to the feature being edited if it's able to be done in the graphics area versus a dialog box. If it appears like in your screen capture, then it's only visible information for the user and not something interactive like the handles or input boxes.

Tim Flater
Senior Designer
Enkei America, Inc.

Some people are like slinkies....they don't really have a purpose, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

in nx3, this is what i get if i click on one of the displayed parameters 'p2' in this example. it gives me a little box that allows me to edit only that parameter.

this is what i want to do in nx6.

if i can't do it cool i'll live, but i know i can do it to a fully parametric body in nx3.

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=c284899a-4a0a-4871-8961-83fa99ac3a1d&file=edit-feature-parameters-2.gif
Sorry, but you can't do that in NX 6.0.

And despite what you might think, Primitive objects were NOT fully-parametric in NX 3.0. You could NOT parametrically define their location, nor in the case of Cylinders and Cones, their direction. However, starting in NX 6.0, you now have complete parametric control over ALL aspects of a Primitive object (Blocks, Cylinders, Cones and Spheres) including size, origin, and where appropriate, direction.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Design Solutions
Siemens PLM Software Inc.
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA

To an Engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

ok, I must have a misunderstanding of what a parametric block/cylinder/cone is then, because I am able to define the cylinder axis direction in nx3, as well as a relative location to x/y/z zero, bu alas it must be something different than i had understood it to be.

Still my question is answered so i thank all of you.

I never actually said that you couldn't define a Primitive's origin or direction, just that you could NOT make those definitions 'fully-parametric' (or associative, depending on how you want to think of them).

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Design Solutions
Siemens PLM Software Inc.
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA

To an Engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

Six of one half a dozen of the other. I probably prefer the current method to the old anyway.

Best Regards

Hudson

www.jamb.com.au

Nil Desperandum illegitimi non carborundum

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back