Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Visual Modflow 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

marta0304

Civil/Environmental
May 21, 2002
FR
I've just started with Visual ModFlow and I'm not an speacilist in Geology.
Where can I find the basic data as
-bulk desity
-dispersion
for a determinate type of soil
Thank you

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I would check into some basic hydrogeology textbooks such as Fetter's Contaminant Hydrogeology (for dispersion) or Freeze and Cherry's Groundwater or Domenico & Schwartz's Physical and Chemical Hydrogeology.

I would also suggest that you have a hydrogeologist check the hydraulic conductivities, layer thicknesses, gradients, and other model assumptions. Visual MODFLOW has simplified many of the inputs to MODFLOW so that anyone can use it without being an expert in hydrogeology or in numerical analysis. That doesn't mean , however, that just anyone can get meaningful results from it. Further, getting the model to calibrate and close (numerically) is not something for a beginner to take on without guidance. Also note that because MODFLOW is a finite difference code, variations in layer thickness can only be handled indirectly (by varying the Transmissivity, if I remember correctly). Also, the top of the water table is the top of the model, NOT the ground surface.

Doug Hambley, Ph.D., P.E., P.G.
dfhambley@earthlink.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back