Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Volatile organic compounds Thermal oxidation in the CO2 atmospere

Status
Not open for further replies.

mggkg

Industrial
Aug 18, 2009
KR
I have a question that Volatile organic compounds (CH4, C2H4, etc Organic concentration is 800vol.ppm, Oxygen 2vol%) can be thermal oxidated in the co2 atomospere?
Reaction temp. is 350~400dC with CTO (Catalytic Thermal Oxidizer, Catalyst is from clariant.
I guess RTO(Regenration Thermal Oxidizer) can not treat this Volatile organic compounds in CO2 atomosphre.
That is why The organic gas concentration is above 500ppm in the RTO Outlet

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

No aromatics in this Organic compounds Gas.
And catalyst Vendor Clariant Say 300~400 degC Temp.is OK.
Anyway I tried to heating up more high temp. up to 500 deg.C,
But The result is same.
The volatile organic Gas's composition is CH4 500pppm, C2H4 300pppm, O2 2%, Others CO2 Gas
My question is In low O2 (2vol%) and high CO2 (97% Over)Balance condition, Organic compounds can be oxidized ?

CO2 is inert gas, could impact the conversion efficieny. Also need to confirm if the catalyst was used for such application with high CO2? did you try to lower the feed gas flow rate and/or higher O2% to see if any improvement? is the design confirmed which can ensure the gas even distriubtion through the catalyst bed?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back