Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Voltage & Current Transformers on 11 kV equipment

Status
Not open for further replies.

hilleard

Electrical
Jan 16, 2004
GB
Afternoon all,

Can anyone offer me advice or point me in the general direction of where I can obtain advice on the selection of voltage and/ or current transformers and how they are correctly fitted onto an 11kV generator. My specific concern is how to avoid corona discharges etc. Thank you

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Both CTs and PTs are generally mounted external the generator itself. The CTs are normally toroidal type installed in the generator terminal boxes. The insulated leads from the generator windings pass through the CT, forming a one-turn primary.

The PTs are often in a separate enclosure that also houses the generator surge protection. This depends a lot on the size and type of generator.

On a 11kV gen set, the CTs are generally mounted in the neutral termination panel. The panel is essentially a busbar enclosure located near the gen with cu busbars of all the 3 phases joined to provide the Neutral.
The VT is usually mounted in the gen incomer CB panel, in the cable box section.

Suggestion: Visit
and type Transformers: Current under Product or Service, which will return 211 companies to approach to
Visit
and type Transformers: Potential under Product or Service, which will return 49 companies to approach to
For corona discharges, see Reference:
C. L. Wadhwa "Electrical Power Systems," John Wiley & Sons, 1991, Chapter 6 Corona

Manufacturers’ published catalog and application literature for instrument transformers is invaluable. GE and ABB are good sources, but more specialized firms the Durham and Ritz are worth review also.

Hi hilleard

The sets I've worked on have had ABB switch gear and the CT's are like big house bricks in series with the bus bar.
Try contacting you local ABB swichboard manufacturer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back