Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

voltage transformers being earthed 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

powercam

Electrical
Oct 1, 2004
IE
hi ppl 2 questions

1.why is the white phase of a voltage transformer normally earthed?
2.I have a delta system. W-phase grounded, when I measure between phases I get 110V. What u are actually measuring is the voltage across a voltage coil. If I measure between the A-B = 110V, B-C = 110Vand A-C=110V. My question to you is how come if you measure between A-C you get 110V, you are actually measuring across 2 coils?
many thanks

cams

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Keep in mind that each VT winding is on a different phase and while you're measuring "across two windings" for the A-C voltage, the voltage measured is the vectorial sum of the 2 windings amd not just adding the 2 magnitudes.

Whether the VTs are open-delta—open-delta or wye—wye configured, there is normally an equilateral voltage ‘triangle’ at the secondary, reflecting a similar equilateral voltage ‘triangle’ at the primary.

One secondary terminal is customarily grounded to prevent electrostatically induced overvoltage coupled from the primary. Without that jumper, “600V”-rated wiring and components are subject to transient or resonant overvoltage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back