Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Volume Flow through Propeller

Status
Not open for further replies.

Serrand

Mechanical
May 9, 2007
CA
I am looking for a crude way to obtain the volumetric flow of through a propeller immersed in water. My variables are Pitch diameter RPM density and chord of the propeller. Do I need a coefficient, or an I use the relation mass flow = density x Propeller Velocity x Area. And if I can use it, how would the pitch affect the area.
Thank you very much, this is not really my field that's why this is probably a very simple question.
Domenic

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Yes. I agree with Greg. Start there on the propeller. If you are trying to simulate an aerodynamic phenomenon between water and air then it will be a problem.

The Reynolds number will obviously be a factor but viscosity (dependant on all fluid factors: density, pressure, temperature, etc) will cause you major problems with the simulation.

What are you trying to do?

If you are trying to relate the correlation between aero and water check out the Harbor Branch Oceanographic Institute.

We did research on Airfoils in water.

Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back