Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Volume of Steam Produced

Status
Not open for further replies.

blakeabts

Chemical
Jul 3, 2000
US
What would be the volume of steam produced from 1.49X10^7kJ of energy?  How would I go about finding this?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Depends on steam pressure. Take the Perry's Handbook, Chapter 3. Divide the available heat by the difference (enthalpy of saturated vapor at the selected pressure)-(enthalpy of water at ambient temperature) and you have the amount (lbs) of steam produced. Multiply by the specific volume of the saturated vapor and you get the steam volume.<br>PS What is a steam volume for ?

My first question will be, what is your water condition.
For each degree you will need 1 cal or 4.18 J to increase of 1 degree C/1 g of water (at atmospheric pressure).
The volume of steam will depend of the final temprature and pressure of your system: V = nRT/P more pressure less volume and as the temperarure increase your volume of steam will increase.
With the data you give, my first estimation will be to evaluate the steam generate at 100 degre C and atmospheric pressure from water at the saturation point. So by taking the heat of vaporization, (2257 kj/kg) we can have 6600 kg of water. By using PV=nRT we can find the volume of steam. This will be the maximum of steam at atmospheric pressure. [sig][/sig]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back