Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Von Braun Center Arena Ceiling Collapse

Status
Not open for further replies.
When I was going to university... over 50 years back, there was an exterior ceiling collapse at the old post office... I missed it by minuits. Looking at the wire hanger ends... there was a typical cup and cone type failure and numerous of the hangers were badly corroded. I don't know if there was any report on this but it was neat, and no one was injured.

Rather than think climate change and the corona virus as science, think of it as the wrath of God. Feel any better?

-Dik

This looks like a detail that's not really structural until it falls and hits you on the head. The architects want a suspended ceiling for aesthetics or ventilation and either don't detail it at all or depend on a performance specification. The structural designer isn't paid to follow up on details like that, so it's not in their scope. There's no submittals or drawings.
It should last for more than 10 years but if non galvanized wires were used or the ceiling anchorage was really substandard, it could fail on day one. It's curious to me that the videos show the failure under an open balcony. I would be suspicious on the water tightness of that balcony. If it leaked, the water could corrode the supporting structure plus the water would make the plaster more heavy. The only thing I'd say about that is if the plaster got wet, it should be noticeable from below.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back