Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Vortex Breakers in API 650 Tanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

TarikY

Mechanical
Jul 15, 2020
US
How much product should there be above a vortex breaker to ensure vortices do not form in a pump suction line?

There are lot of calculations and thumbrules out there for volume needed above an internal pipe in order to avoid using a vortex breaker, but I don't see any guidance if there is already a vortex breaker. The question becomes- as long as the vortex breaker is covered by product, is there a general assumption that vortices will not occur? I am trying to determine if I can have an internal pipe come straight in to a tank, or if it needs to elbow down. Specifically on this application, I'm use a PIP VEFV1124 cross-type vortex breaker.

This topic is related to minimum level in the tank to operate the pump. ie: if i need 1 ft above the vortex breaker, I may need to shut down the pump at various elevations depending on where the vortex breaker sits.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Depends on the flow and velocity through the opening as well as the density and viscosity of the fluid and perhaps the vapor pressure of the fluid.

Elbow down will allow you to go lower than the pipe entry elevation.

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back