Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

VSD Transformer output voltage 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

stanleycrimper

Electrical
Jan 3, 2012
DZ
400v supply coming from generator to VSD transformer.output voltage is 230v and a reading of 374v was recorded.the client says this is due to 600v being supplied from 400v generator(which has 110% cut off).what is causing the abnormal voltage at VSD?transformer windings maybe?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Faulty AVR on the generator?

----------------------------------
image.php

If we learn from our mistakes I'm getting a great education!

Stanley
I would get my voltmeter and measure all of the voltages for myself. Scotty has one possibility, but these reading are crazy.

these reading are crazy

It would certainly be unusual these days that a transformer manufacturer is sufficiently generous with the core dimensions to allow 370V out of a 230V winding. Most cores would be deep into saturation long before that, and something on the primary side would either trip or melt due to the massive magnetising current.

Wareagle has made a very good point: when the readings are totally unreasonable, first suspect the readings.

----------------------------------
image.php

If we learn from our mistakes I'm getting a great education!

cheers guys,it was a ex colleague who asked me if i had a clue.my first thought was faulty transformer because of the readings.and its a brand new genny too.ill keep ya posted on the outcome,again thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back