Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

VTC actuator problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

enginesrus

Mechanical
Aug 30, 2003
US
Or VCT Variable Cam Timing, VTC Variable Timing Control, depending on manufactures nomenclature.
Seems like many different brands have a lot of trouble with these, some even say not to be concerned about the annoying start up rattle.
Seems like the rattle or looseness would cause vibratory stress on the timing chain system, and in time help contribute to chain sprocket slippage.
Just curious if there are any outfits that have done extensive testing on this? After market or OEM?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You will see that many auto engines have problems with the variable valve timing systems. 2012 or so Honda's are plagued by this problem. I thought there would be folks here that have dealt with this.

The hypereutectic alloy pistons fit the bore very tightly at all temperatures. Slap isn't endemic to modern engines. I think there were a few examples with coated skirts that were prone. I remember the early 2000's Chevy 5.3 engines were slappy. Regardless, that engine family ended up being most reliable and highest regarded in history.

Hydraulic cam chain tensioners can be noisy at startup. Toyota engines are like this. They are very highly regarded for reliability as well.

A few cycles of slap relative to the millions of cycles of everything else am engine endures seems inconsequential.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back