Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

W-9 form - not an employee

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fischstabchen

Electrical
Feb 17, 2021
US
I wrote up some material that a company used for advertising. They want me to fill out a W-9 form. I am confused some about this because they bought a product from me not me selling my time to them. Can someone explain why they would do this? I don't pull a W-9 when plumber comes and fixes something for me or when I buy a software package.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Fischstabchen said:
I don't pull a W-9 when plumber comes and fixes something for me or when I buy a software package.

Thats because most of them are corporations. If you pay more than $600 to any non-corporate entity for services rendered, you have to give them a 1099. To give them a 1099, you need a W-9. At least that's my understanding - check with a CPA to be sure.

Many company's accounting departments require W9s, just for standard accounting/business practices. Many times these forms are requested because the insurance companies are demanding this paperwork (i.e. general/professional liability policies) If your business is incorporated, or if you are a supplier, you should not receive a 1099.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back