Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Wake reduction. Classic automobiles. 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

2CVRod

Feb 17, 2007
GB
Hello. As a challenge I am planning to improve the aerdymanics of my Citreon 2CV car. ( the one with 602cc twin cylinder air cooled engine) The challenge is to succeed in reducing drag without radically changing the shape of the body. ( that has been done many times by the 2cv racing chaps) At this time I am concentrating on the under body, and rear wake reduction.

Need some ideas for shape/type of rear wings/turning/spoiler devices that would reduce form drag.Perhaps also working with under body diffuser/s.
Thank you in advance for your help in this matter. RB

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

LOL---You gotta be kiddin' me! Next thing you will need to know is how do I make my Mini Cooper more aerodynamic "without radically changing", etc, etc ?
It would be cheaper and have a greater chance of success to teach pigs to fly!

Rod

IRstuff
It doesn't list my Mini, but it does list a "smooth brick" at 2.1!!! LOL ;-)

I've been around a few Citroens in years past. The 2CV was kinda fun to play with but the only thing I think slower would be the Sabaru 360...then again, they raced them, too.
Like all French cars I've seen, the interior and driver comfort scores high, but mechanical reliability is somewhat spotty and, at least in the U.S., parts are "unobtainable" (I see the OP is in the UK, so perhaps the parts situation is not as bad there).

Enough, I guess. This is not exactly the forum for all this.

TTFN, backatcha!

Rod

I would try:

- Turning vanes on the A-pillars.

- Narrowed/ shortened/ chopped front fenders.

- Narrowed rear fenders.

- Headlights removed, or extended up or forward on narrow stalks.

Mike Halloran
Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back