Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Wall friction angle estimating Kp for soldier pile wall

Status
Not open for further replies.

yakpol

Structural
Jun 1, 2001
CA
Hi,
I am estimating passive pressure Kp using coulomb formula for soldier pile wall. The value is very sensitive to the angle of wall friction. Say, for phi = 37 and delta = 16 degrees Kp = 7.7, for delta=0, Kp=4.0.
My concern is that passive earth pressure is assumed to act over the width of 3 pile diameters, so the idea of wall friction is somewhat muddled here. Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I have often used numbers in the range that you have shown. I recommend that you use as little wall friction as you need to give you an economical soldier beam. You may not need to use the full 7.7. Are the soldier beams cantilevered or braced/tiedback? For cantilevered soldier beams, unless in hard rock, I usually call for at least as much toe embedment as the exposed height of the wall. For braced/tiedback soldier beams, I try to use at least 5' embedment in soil or in soil and rock, but 2' minimum if just embedded in rock. Put your passive resistance safety factor on the calculated, required length, not on Kp.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back