Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Wall mounted anchor through solid brick masonry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Russell10

Structural
Oct 16, 2019
US
Hello,

I am having an issue with this problem that has been presented to me about mounting a wall anchor to a masonry wall with 5/8" thru bolts connecting a back plate to the anchor. I believe the masonry has been rated to have a compressible stress of 2000 psi. I have been unable to find much information on the properties of masonry I am assuming this is due to the way the masonry deteriorates over time. The anchor has to be designed to hold 5000 lbs of force. Any help or experience with this type of calculation would be appreciated as well as any reference material that anyone may suggest when handling this type of problem.

https://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=06dca391-612e-4903-9a4f-b84c4a4fee60&file=Masonry_thru_bolt_backplate.jpg
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Will this be in the US? If so, ACI 530 is a good resource. If you have the f'm of the masonry, you can use the equations in the code to check bending and shear in the wall due to the applied load(s). Then you can check bearing on the back side of the wall due to the plate/channel.

As for the deterioration, that's not unique to masonry. For unreinforced, solid brick masonry the keys are mortar soundness (and compatibility of repair materials) and face shell integrity. Once the mortar deteriorates, it has to be repointed with a compatible material. Using Portland based mortars, for instance, can destroy a historic wall with lime mortars at the center due to trapped moisture and expansion during freezing. Similarly, a damaged face shell can expose softer clays within the brick to further degradation. For example, I once lived in a house with veneer made from recycled structural brick out of several historic structures. Most of them were great, but mixed in there were light orange bricks that, once the outer shell was cracked, turned to powder after a few rain storms.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back