Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Want feedback on Wear Resistant Roller Material - Thinking AISI D2 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

PressEquip

Civil/Environmental
Oct 26, 2009
CA
Thank you for reading my post

I'm working on a replacement design of a weld coupon bender. This bender would bend maybe 30 coupons a month. A plunger comes down and pushes the coupon through two rollers.

I'm thinking of using shaft of 4140 (~0.84375" OD) x ~5" long that the rollers would spin on (rollers: AISI D2, ~1.5" OD x 0.875" ID x 3.625" long).

I'm concerned that the D2 material will be very brittle and may crack under the bending stresses. I'm also concerned about heat treating this part after machining because of it tube shape.

Is D2 a poor choice? If so, what would be a better choice of material that had at least moderate wear resistance?

Thanks in advance

A Fan of EngTips, share the knowledge

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

From the various bend test jigs I have seen over the years, use D2 tool steel for the rollers in a quenched and tempered condition (double temper at 950 deg F for optimum toughness and hardness). The 4140 is fine for the plunger.

D2 is a good choice . A good heat treater with proper fixtures can meet your challenges. Usually seal quench furnaces are used for such applications.
Happy heattreating!!

"Even,if you are a minority of one, truth is the truth."

Mahatma Gandhi.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back