Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Wanted: Qualified Tester for VMC

Status
Not open for further replies.

EdDanzer

Mechanical
Oct 30, 2002
US
We broke the spindle drive belt on our new VMC when using less than 100% of spindle power. The belt, is under designed if Gate design information is used and the machine has a vibration that starts at about 40% of spindle power. The Z axis gives overload alarms some times and uses 40% of the drive power when under no load with a counter balance.
The dealer will not accept our test of spindle or axis power, so we need someone to do it.
Is there a company that can test spindle torque and axis thrust?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

My machines show a large load during acceleration and decel. When running free the numbers you are getting are too high. The gauge is wrong or the spinle bearings have problems. If my machine had noticeable vibrations and it was new I would be enforcing the warrenty. I would like to know who sold and made the machine.

Robert Setree

Until we test the machine, it would not be prudent to accuse the manufacture or dealer of anything. The dealer is working on some of the warranty problems this week. There is no advantage talking to an attorney until we have facts to back our claims. We will be testing the spindle tomorrow with a hydraulic dynamometer we have built. Next week I will be building the axis load testing device.
If we get results that show the machine does not meet advertised specifications, then we need an independent company to verify our test so we can see a lawyer and sue for false advertising.
I believe many of the machine tool manufactures only calculate the specification and never test them.
Maybe the industry needs a "Consumer Reports" type group to weed out the dealers and manufactures that misrepresent machine tools.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back