Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Wanting to Learn GD&T 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

chicopee

Mechanical
Feb 15, 2003
US
A cousin of mine has expressed an interest about drafting and GD&T. I have suggested that he checks out GD&T training from Tec-Ease, Inc.. I graduated in M.E. back in the '60's and drafting was one requirement in the curriculum but GD&T had not yet evolved. Personally I get interested and learn some aspects of GD&T from Tec Ease monthly tips eventhough I am not proficient at it which does not affect my ACAD drafting since I do Civil drafting.
I would like to know how you, the responders, view Tec Ease as a training tool or would it be better for young people to enroll in a drafting program from accredited institutions.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Based on the p@#s-poor drawings I see created (and approved) by engineers every day, I think that there is still a place for proper drafting instruction. Companies may be using fewer "drafters" by having engineers do their own drawings, but that in no way lessens the importance of capturing design intent clearly and concisely.
That said, I am doubtful that a drafting class would cover GD&T in the depth desirable for proper useage.

"Good to know you got shoes to wear when you find the floor." - [small]Robert Hunter[/small]

I graduated with my bachelor's in 2005 and didn't have much drafting in my classes. We had a class that required producing "pretty" drawings by hand. However, I don't recall any classes discussing practices that actually lead to the "best" drawing or most clearly shows what is desired. And I don't think I ever even saw GD&T symbols and requirements until after graduation.

I believe the local 2-year tech school has some classes on drafting. I'd have to look again at the description and see if they are actual drafting classes of if they are "CAD jockey" classes. However, I believe they offer a 2-year program on drafting, and I suspect that would cover more about drafting than I learned in my engineering courses.

-- MechEng2005

There are lots of GD&T training companies out there. (wink)

Tec-Ease is good, as are any other companies that have been around for a while -- they can't stay in business unless each of the companies know their stuff and deliver it well.

John-Paul Belanger
Certified Sr. GD&T Professional
Geometric Learning Systems

You'd have to look at the syllabus to make sure any drafting classes aren't more of a 'how to use CAD system X' than generically how to draft. If they claim to have GD&T training as part of the course it may be worth checking to see if the teacher has appropriate qualification/experience.

Posting guidelines faq731-376 (probably not aimed specifically at you)
What is Engineering anyway: faq1088-1484

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back