Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Warning Reported from Mass Properties Tool

Status
Not open for further replies.

CarlosRoche

Aerospace
Jun 10, 2016
US
Hi everyone,

I'm user of Patran 2012.2 64-Bits, and I'm using the Mass Properties Tool to extract the total mass of a particular group of shell elements, with the aim of corroborate the mass of my FE model with respect the mass of the CAD model. But when I use that tool - no matter what group I choose - I always get the following warning message:

$# Warning reported from application MASP
$# Some of the referenced element properties define an offset. All offsets are ignored in the calculation of mass properties. This can cause the results to change substantially.

Comparing the FEM mass with respect the CAD mass, I get an error of 2% and some times of 5%. I know that the error is minimum, but I would like to know how to avoid this warning message, or if there is something more that I could be missing .

All my shell elements have a mid-plane offset, defined in the PSHELL card within the thickness field. I checked my material cards and all seems to be well.

Thanks in advance.

------------------------------
Carlos O. Roche

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back