Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Warping constant, H for lipped sections 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

phuduhudu

Structural
Apr 19, 2001
GB
I am trying to do a spreadsheet to design a purlin section made of a back to back cold formed lipped channel and cold formed lipped angle. I need an expression for the warping constant (H in mm6) to do the calc. I have a reference which gives an expression for this for built up I sections but not for my particular case. Can anyone help? Carl Bauer

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Carl,

The reference "Design of COLD-FORMED steel structures" by Prof Greg Hancock is a good one, with a balance between theory and design.

It used to be available from the Australian Institute of Steel Construction, but my copy is dated 1988.

I am not sure exactly what you want in terms of "reference" but a book that describes the two components of torsion - uniform and non-uniform torsion - of steel structures should describe warping torsion and the derivation of the warping section constant. One good reference is "Bahaviour and Design of Steel Structures" by Trahair and Bradford - thinned walled sections are detailed in a chapter without too mnay differential equations.

HTH

Formulas for Stress and Strain by Roark & Young, 5th Edition has the formulas for warping coefficients of many types of sections in Table 21 of chapter 9.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back