Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Washer Dimensions per AISC 13th edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

michaelpjr

Structural
Apr 27, 2009
US
I am trying to determine the appropriate washer designation for a 7/8" threaded rod set in the oversized holes of a column base plate. Most fabricators show the standard washer for such as having the dimensions: 1-3/4" O.D. with a 15/16" hole diameter and a thickness of 1/8".

Table 14-2 of the AISC steel construction manual, 13th edition recommends an O.D. of 2-1/2" with a maximum hole diameter of 1-9/16" and a minimum thickness of 5/16". I can't find washers anywhere that fall within these recommended dimensions.

I do not see any minimum/maximum washer dimensions stated in the 9th edition of the AISC steel manual. Could this be why? Has the industry just accepted that which is most common as standard and now it's time they update their product? OR... is the key the word "RECOMMENDED"?

Am I using the wrong design criteria (table 14-2) or am I correct?

If I am wrong, please advise.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Table 14-2 is the correct provision to be using. This is one of the updates from the old 9th. They must provide fabricated plate washers our of GR36 material to meet these recommendations (its not an ASTM standard washer).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back