Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Waste Water Treatment Tank

Status
Not open for further replies.

m63

Civil/Environmental
Dec 4, 2002
CA
Working on municipal waste water treatment plant specifications for small town in cold Canadian climate. What is preferable structure type for settling tanks todays: steel or concrete; circular or rectangular; who are manufacturers of these structures; where can I find specs and any other suggestions are much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

if you could provide a few bits of info it may help.

how big is the settlement tank to be. what type of process will be used for the treatment. what is the access to materials at the site you are building at (ie: concrete plants, skilled labour etc.)

The types of tanks, sizes etc are usually specified by the process designer. Is this you, or are you designing on the civil structural side.

good luck

dutchie

dutchie,
My company is doing project management,civil and structural part of design. I am preparing specs for civil and structural part. I don’t have any info on process or capacity of tanks yet but got a task to find the pros and cons of different types of tanks and prepare myself to write specs for each. As far as materials, there are concrete plants around here but a bit more difficult for skilled labour. If somebody can direct me to how to find more about tank structures it would be extremely helpful.

[blue]m63[/blue]:

The choice of tank type is process driven - you need to decide which processes to use, then choose the tank and equipment - not vice versa. That was [blue]dutchie[/blue]'s point -

[pacman]

Please see FAQ731-376 for great suggestions on how to make the best use of Eng-Tips Fora.

m63, when you say settling tank are you talking about some type of clarifier (primary or secondary)? The type I'm used to has a mechanism that rotates and sweeps the solids into a sump.
Circular is much better in this case. There are no corners that have to be accomodated (there are very complicated mechanisms that can sweep out corners) plus it is easier and more efficient to design.
I'm talking about pretty big facilities. It's possible that this type might be overkill in your case.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back