Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Wastewater Concrete Tank Coating

Status
Not open for further replies.

BronYrAur

Mechanical
Nov 2, 2005
US
Any thoughts or suggestions on coating an aging concrete tank that is showing signs of leakage? These are concrete tanks that hold "industrial waste", which basically means that the water is very grease and oil laden.

My thought is to drain and sandblast the tank and paint on some form of coating to seal the cracks. My concern is that the coating will adhere.

Will sandblasting penetrate deep enough to remove the oils?

Any other ideas?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi, i have been in the coatings industry for about 15 years. My father started the business in 1972. I think i have a solution for your tank problem. I would use a sprayed on poly-urea coating and maybe under it use either fiberglass or some other sort of woven backer, and essentially create a liner for the tank and if you mechanically attach the woven backer via concrete anchors then spray over everything you do not have to worry about chemically bonding to the concrete. Hope this helps

I am with a manuf. company that specifies in epoxy coatings for the specific purpose of the previously mentioned. Please give me a call or email me at duggerj@rlssolutions.com.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back